Thursday 27 January 2011

New quilt - new designs

First of all - thankyou so very much for your get well messages and cards - I am slowly getting back to 'my old self'! Thought I would share this rose with you called a "Mothers Love". It was given to me by a friend when my Mum passed away 2 years ago. The blooms this week have been simply stunning.....
Thought you might also like to see a new quilt I have been working on while I recuperate. It is based on the tile designs of William De Morgan - a friend and work colleague to William Morris. De Morgan leased land from Morris at Merton Abbey where he produced his ceramic tiles. Most interesting reading at this link;

This is the quilt in progress - all the applique ironed on and now ready to stitch.......
I think I am going to use a narrow black sashing around all the blocks and border. I photographed many De Morgan tiles when we were in Birmingham last year at the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery; http://www.bmag.org.uk/birmingham-museum
They have a fantastic collection of tiles and also a comprehensive Pre Raphaelite Art collection. Check it here; http://www.preraphaelites.org/
Here are the original De Morgan tiles and then my interpretation made very simple for applique:





Have a good week X

6 comments:

  1. Wow Michele the quilt looks great, maybe a class for 2012???
    Tam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your version with applique. It is so much gentler in fabric don't you think.Hope you are feeling a little better.
    RobynK
    New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are Recovering Well..your New Quilt is Stunning I Love the Colours...
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Michele....you had to have more surgery? My sympathies are with you! Hope you are feeling much better by now. Your new quilt is wonderful and I love the colors! The border blocks are really unique and interesting too. Really lovely. Still waiting for your book to come to the USA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just beautiful. I love the bunnies. They would be great on a children's quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such an amazing designer! love your interpretations they are just gorgeous.
    I am sorry you have not been well I do hope you get better really soon

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x