Saturday 20 October 2012

Washington DC

The whole tour group is incredibly tired and I have to say I hit the wall last night...the old ticker didn't really like climbing the Jefferson Memorial! So it was with a heavy heart that we set out to see the sights of Washington DC. It was a morning full of melancholy as we visited several war memorials. Inevitably one leaves feeling incredibly moved...personally I always do because of Dad and his experiences as a Pathfinder in Bomber Command. So I will start with these sights. At Arlington Cemetery any active or retired serviceman can be buried here. There are on average 30 funerals a day. It was a beautiful site......


 John F Kennedy's grave site.......

 And a very moving quilt - the Lost Heroes Art Quilt. Visit the website as the stories are very moving.








The World War 2 Memorial also has a very interesting history here. It was very controversial to start with - personally I loved it.....











 The Korean War Memorial also has a great site to visit here.









The Vietnam War Memorial with over 58,000 names on the wall.....
I did not realise that troops often wore their ID tags on their boots (in case of war mines and limb losses)......





And then the "must see" sights of this important city. First some views from my bus window.......








 This post is getting a little large so I might continue shortly.........



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x