Sunday 4 November 2012

Last day in Houston

All good things come to an end and we are leaving Houston in the morning for a few days "rest" in Santa Monica before the long trek home. So on my last day here I caught up with some friends from home (well they used to live at home!!)...and also another quilter that I have wanted to meet for many years. Bonnie Keller from Washington State is also an admirer of all things William Morris and I came across her divine quilt "Creme de la Creme" on the internet some time ago. So it was wonderful to meet in person and we found other things in common as you will see! Bonnie also won one of the top five awards here at the show - The Robert S. Cohan Mastery Award for Traditional Artistry, for the very same quilt! Her website is full of beautiful quilts, so do visit by clicking here: Bonnie Keller Quilts. Bonnie kindly obliged with a celebratory photo....or three! Her quilt is hand quilted, hand beaded and filled with trapunto and something I had not heard of before....'boutis'. I found it on wikipedia here: Boutis. The detail is amazing and it took Bonnie several years to complete.


 Not only do we share a mutual admiration for Morris but we also have great taste in shoes!!

On my first day at market last weekend I had already photographed this quilt in the Group section and then today I found out it was also one of Bonnie's designs. I loved the use of fabrics.......



Some last quilt photos........







This is the other quilt belonging to Kathi Carter named after another grandchild. This is "Emily" and Kathi won a second place.





And here is your ribbon Linda Steele - congratulations once again!




I had a lunch date with a friend who used to live at home but fell in love recently with someone from the US! Back home Diane would turn up in every one of my classes that she could! When she found out I was going to be in Houston she talked her new husband into driving for two days to meet me. So it was a cause for celebration....it was good to see you Diane! XX



While we enjoyed lunch outside the heavens opened with thunder and very heavy rain.......


Now you might be surprised that I did not come here to buy fabric...instead the jewellery has been the drawcard! Today I did some damage at China Baroque where the delightful Erica shared in their artistry. Do visit the link - their work is beautiful and all recycled china. So if you break a precious plate you can have a keepsake and "hang" a fragment of it around your neck forever. Thankyou Erica - I will treasure my piece of antique 'Noritaki' and 'Johnson and Brothers' treasures!


My final surprise was catching up with Leonie and David of Shop Leo9. David and Leonie left Adelaide for Texas over 12 years ago and never came back (except for heart surgery 2 years ago!!). It was so good to see them again and they sent a very special cheerio to you Faye and to Beth Roberts as well!




So we leave Houston and the quilt show. My memories are of smiles and so many friendly quilters! I will blog again when we are settled in Santa Monica! Thanks so much again for sharing in our journey and all my natter xxx

5 comments:

  1. Breathtaking work! and love William Morris designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilts are beautiful but the shoes are exquisite. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for showing me my ribbon Michele, you are so kind to have thought of me. I have absolutely loved your photos and posts about your wonderful trip, I felt as if I was there with you.
    Wedding plans are going well, less than 2 weeks now.
    Love Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, I love you so much and I have relished every bit of your journeys in England, Canada and US. I am so glad we were nice to you and you felt welcome. No wonder, you are amazing and my world would be so much duller without you and Mr Morris. Thank you and God Bless you as you rest and travel home to Beau. I hate it I could not get to Houston this time but there is always another time. Margaret in Mineola, TX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see that you follow the The Textile Blog.. NOv 5th has an interesting reference volume of all things Wm Morris. It will take some time and a "clear" head to absorb the work he has done.

    URL: way to big but....
    http://thetextileblog.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-new-design-decoration-craft.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheTextileBlog+%28The+Textile+Blog%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x