Saturday 20 July 2013

Quilt Symposium Taupo style

What a fantastic time we have been having. I am sharing this symposium with tutors from the US, UK, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand ....quite an experience! There are about 1300 students enrolled for classes - wow! Opening night was very moving with the local youth giving us a traditional Maori welcome - it brought tears to my eyes......

Awards were announced and then it was time for a sleep in preparation for 5 days of teaching. Thanks to the girls who joined me for the last two days....these are their great results which will become bed or table runners - and all inspired by the Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne....

Ann has been in my class before so instead she almost completed her Portiere quilt.......
She also brought in her stunning Morning Glory quilt - it is just waiting to be bound. It was greatly admired and I loved her fussy cutting. Thanks Ann for bringing it in and it was great to catch up again x

I had an evening lecture to deliver last night and was overwhelmed by the crowd who came.....I think there were about 300! We did have happy hour before the lecture and were entertained by the local hip hop group - (and this is just for you Sophie and hope comps went well tonight xx)

After the lecture I shared dinner with Lenore Crawford and Susan Cleveland, both from the US and incredibly talented as you will see by visiting their links. Thanks girls for a memorable French evening in New Zealand........







Tonight we have had the gala dinner with a Winter Wonderland theme.....

and what a blast with Cindy of Samoa entertaining us...did she work the crowd!.......

So time for bed....more news later.....

2 comments:

  1. I wish I was there. Looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It WAS fun, we all had a wonderful time. A great two days stitching with
    lots of laughter and work done. It was lovely to catch up again, and Portiere is so nearly finished! Thank you Michele.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x