Saturday 22 March 2014

Celebrating IQD in the Riverland

And what is IQD?.....International Quilters Day of course and what a grand celebration we had today in Loxton. The Loxton Quilters have been working for almost 2 years preparing a celebration which was sold out. Quilters from many groups came for miles and in total there was almost 230 present. I was privileged to be asked to speak at the event and of course there only seems to be one subject I speak of these days! Many quilts on display were from past classes or from my books and I was chuffed to bits to see them all............


 The table centre pieces were delightful and also for sale, so dear Larry obliged....... so I have another large pincushion to join the others at home!


 I designed this quilt especially for the Loxton group many years ago. None of us could remember but we think it was about 12 years ago....the first time I taught here was nearly 20 years ago!
 More early designs of mine.......


At 'show and tell' I was thrilled to see a version of my "Dear William" quilt - the appliqué and quilting was exquisite  - so well done to Lola who made it for her group, Sunraysia Quilters who will be raffling it very soon…….

There was a lot of show and tell and this wedding ring runner caught my eye..........
 And Kate designed this herself after doing one of my design classes - just fabulous......
 and then there was the cutting of the cake by Natalie and Iris....long standing members of the group that is celebrating 21 wonderful years (and I might add Iris on the right is a very sprightly 87 years old!).......

It was a wonderful celebration of the art of quilting that we all enjoy.... Larry enjoyed it all as well especially the jelly slice! Thanks to everyone for coming and especially to Loxton quilters for hosting us and putting on such a grand event. Some of us will be spending the day together tomorrow in class so for now I leave you with images of the mighty Murray River near where we are staying in the caravan park...........


7 comments:

  1. looks like a great show of quilts - and the Murray River area looks beautiful, I checked out the link - have fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michele,
    What a great display of quilts made from your designs! Lovely choice of colours too!
    One day I'll make one too, pattern and fabrics are waiting...

    Digna
    The Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely quilts and yummy looking table centres, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michele

    Always love reading your blog and seeing your fabulous photos of anything Morris. I just wanted to share this blog link post for Morris's birthday 24th March...love that cake! Rae.

    http://blogprincessg.blogspot.ca/2014/03/my-big-fat-cake-project-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great event! Loved seeing all those quilts. What a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou for your site! I became a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new home is going to be wonderful when you add all your special touches. Thanks for making the weekend at loxton very special. My table runner is making progress. Have a great time in melbourne. Natalie

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x