Tuesday 1 November 2016

Never Idle

As ever life is busy and I find it very difficult to 'just sit' - even at night in front of the TV  I need to be doing something else.....so this is what I have been working on. It is to be a bed runner of sorts which will be interactive as we bring to life the story of the very mischievous Peter Rabbit......

 Maisie and Beau are coming to stay in a little while and Maisie has outgrown the portable cot so last weekend it was time to look for new beds. We thought of a bunk bed but decided it was too risky as you can tell by the look on Larry's face.......so instead a pretty bed for Maisie which will be delivered next week....
 Then I decided the room needed re-arranging and perhaps it would be nice to make it personal......so another afternoon and evening stitching personal cushions......


I've hung one of my older quilts on the wall as well. I made this way back in 2003 (gosh that is 13 years ago!). It features local fauna and flora and maybe Maisie will enjoy it hanging beside her bed......



 During the week I received a delightful message from Julie with photos of her Mrs Tiggy Winkle iron cover........she made this the day after she received her book so the instructions must be okay! Good on you Julie and thanks so much for sharing it........

I also received a lovely email from Leslee 'across the ditch' (our neighbours in New Zealand), sharing some exciting news from their group's quilt exhibition. They are members of the Otautau quilt group and Joyce received the Viewer's Choice award for her version of 'Dear William' and what a great achievement - congratulations Joyce - I aways think Viewer's choice is the best award ever.......
 The second prize was also from one of my designs ' 'My Renaissance' and made by Janette and what a beautiful job she did....congratulations girls and thanks Leslee for sharing the news.....
I also received these fabulous photos from Bridgette who came to our private book launch that Lessa and Roger hosted last Sunday. I did my nursing training with Bridgette so we have known each other for 42 years! Bridgette always knew that my late parents were fondly known as "Ross the Boss" and "Marge in Charge".......and what fun it was that she found this book! You can see the delight as I opened it....thankyou Bridgette x

 Another gift came in the post this past week as well from dear Rose in Queensland. Rose has been a friend for a while now and it was she who lovingly made this cushion for me some years back so Rose is with me each morning as I make my bed.........
So when I opened this gift from her it simply said "I just thought you deserve a little happiness for all the joy you have brought to me and I'm sure many others as well. You are truly a treasure and a blessing"........
Oh my gosh Rose....thankyou and what lovely words for this special piece......
On a sadder note I read of some devastating news today. Jamie Wallen is a quilter who resides and manages a quilting business in the US. The International Quilt Festival is due to start this week in Houston and Jamie was to have a retail space and also teach. Last night his trailer full of quilts, teaching aids and retail supplies for the festival was stolen from the hotel carpark where he was staying. Such devastation and you can read more about it HERE and see some of the quilts that are now missing. Whenever I hear of a story like this it takes me back to the loss of some of my own work. I am fortunate to not have lost as much as Jamie but losing work through our postal service three times still grieves me greatly. This was the first quilt "Woven Verdure"......

and then the "Adelaide Sampler"......
and third package a box full of some of my smaller pieces and all my teaching notes, books, step by step samples etc, etc.........





On a brighter note I have been meaning to share a couple of treasures that we brought home from our recent tours in the UK. We really have no need of "stuff" anymore and we are often conscious that our children will have to deal with it all one day when we are gone.......but these did have to come home with us! First a charming hare that I found in the Standen House gift shop and then Mr Morris himself purchased at the one and only William Morris Gallery........
Also an apron also from Standen and then some Beatrix Potter fridge magnets from the gift shop at Hill Top.....
This past week we have also been planning our display for the Craft and Quilt Fair to celebrate the new Beatrix Potter book. I took the idea from Roger with the bunches of carrots hanging at our private book launch but thought maybe after four days they would be very limp.....so I stitched these instead using polar fleece and wool felt.......
Finally I wanted to let you know I have loaded more images of the new book projects that you can view by clicking on the tab at the top of this page titled "Stitching with Beatrix Potter Book Projects". If you are in Adelaide do drop by and say Hi where you can see the projects in person....the fair is on from Thursday Nov 3rd - Sunday Nov 6th.

3 comments:

  1. you are full of news today. I'm sure the grandchildren will love their new bedrooms. You have so many lovely quilt patterns I'm glad to see award winning quilts being made! and they are all beautiful. sorry to hear of the stolen goods of one of the vendors - how sad and wonder why people do things like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your carrots Michele, they look just like the real things! Hope to see you Friday afternoon, just another day trip for 4 of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm exhausted just reading all your news. What a full life you lead. We had similar issues with beds for the grandchildren, settled on some twin singles and then along came more children, twin bunks may have been a better solution. The news about Jamie Whallen is just awful, i do hope they find the trailer soon. Remember to take time to breath

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x