Monday 20 March 2017

Craving Autumn

Larry and I have never liked Summer and our current Summer season started way back in October.... six long months ago! I was a red-head as a child so the sun and I did not mix very well and Larry has had a few melanomas removed so we are content with our pale complexions while keeping out of the sun! The long hot nights can be very draining which exacerbates emotions while sharing life's challenges. All too often we are hearing of health scares and challenges from family and friends along with the recent ridiculous news of our country not having enough energy to provide us with basic power! One issue is that we apparently export so much gas that we are not leaving enough for our own country....how can that be? This article sums it up well with the title of the article declaring the situation as "absurd"! But up beat we must be and there is so much to be thankful for.....my roses for one are loving the sun......

 And this recent burst of stitching from yours truly made us all smile.......
 And this sure made me smile! We caught up with a friend from Perth who delivered a special gift from a dear friend who moved there some years ago. This beautiful piece is made up of William Morris fabrics - is it a bed runner, a wrap or a scarf? Denise's card said she thought I would love to be wrapped in Morris prints so a scarf it will be............
 The ruffles at each end are trimmed with ribbon and I just love it! Thankyou so much Denise xx.......it will be well used when that cooler season finally arrives (I suspect we will be moaning about the cold next!!)
 And a little cheer up that I baked for some family members that needed a hug in the form of lemon meringue pies.........
 As time goes by I can see myself turning more like my late mother who absolutely detested Summer but also loved sewing! I find myself more drawn to the fabrics that she loved and I still wear a nightie that she made me almost 30 years ago, so I thought it was time I made myself a new one with the very same style pattern........
 I found this lovely Japanese lawn to make my nightie and it wasn't until I zoomed in on the fabric that I discovered there are little rabbits and deer amongst the flowers.........what fun!
While on one of our coffee jaunts recently I came across these serviette rings in a second hand shop and also a set of six bread and butter knives which I love.........
 Something that was not such a bargain was for the four lemons we purchased yesterday for a whopping $6.17 so we think a lemon tree might be in order............
 Today was a Monday catch up with Rosie and Janie as we continue stitching goodies for the Mbale Children's Health Foundation and this time it was my turn to host lunch and a new sewing project. The company as always was wonderful and the Pinot Rose wasn't too bad either! (And Denise who made that beautiful scarf should be part of our little group but Perth is a three and a half hour flight away!).......

 During the week I received this wonderful card from C&T Publishing who are doing a version of my book Stitching with Beatrix Potter. The card has been signed by key staff and I was thrilled with this wonderful gesture of being thanked for allowing them to print the book (and I will forgive them for spelling my name with two L's!!)........
We've enjoyed the company of these two a couple of times and one day I had them on my own while Larry was at work. So we caught the bus to the nearby park for a picnic and an obligatory ice block as it was so hot as you can see on Beau's face......

 Late last night I received the most wonderful email from Judith Notley who you may recall was our special guest on our Beatrix Potter tour last year as the mature Beatrix Potter - Mrs Heelis......

 I had no idea that Judith was appearing on book launch day so during proceedings I discreetly disappeared upstairs to our room to get her a copy of my book. Well it turns out Judith's sister-in-law is a quilter so the book was put to very good use and I am just delighted! Judith's sister-in-law is also a first time grandma to dear little Jessica who is modelling the quilt here....
 Hi there Susan and what a wonderful job you have done on the quilt and how wonderful to see it being enjoyed by your dear little grand-daughter....and a red-head too - extra special! Thankyou so much Judith and Susan for allowing me to share it all on the blog (and I love your hand quilted circles too Susan!). Much love to you all xx
 So that is it for another blog post. As I sit in front of the telly each evening I am surrounded by all that I love with reflections from the kitchen lights shining on the books that have inspired me the most........ 
 And as I type this post tonight and look across to the lounge I find myself smiling at those socks and thongs (flip flops in the US I believe!), as he masters yet another word puzzle.......and Autumn is just around the corner too!

5 comments:

  1. it sounds like you are very much ready for some cooler weather - yes one's country should fuel themselves first so no shortage then sell to others. Your roses are so pretty - I always have some but do not have the variety that you do. flip flops yes - I can not wear any of the ones that go between the toes rubs a sore in between the toes but so many do wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no that is highway robbery for some lemons. I am sure if you asked there will be someone in your quilting group who has an over productive lemon tree, to save you squeezing one in the garden - they grow quite large. Love the finished quilt and baby, what a sweetie. Looking forward to autumn here, but its a bit late this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post from someone who said they had nothing to blog about!? Think I need a lemon tree too, and those lemon meringues look yummy, maybe they need to go on my menu this week?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that REALLY warm and pleasure filled post. Just popped on to my computer after having guests in our home for the past couple of weeks. I'm feeling a little 'flat' as I have only chores to do today and no company. Your beautiful roses, stitched little critters, your secondhand shop finds, touching rewards for your creativity and so much more! I was touched by your description of an evening at 'your place'. The comfort of your home and your love for Larry are so evident. Wishing that most of your days are filled with all these things and more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your roses are still spectacular! What sweet little figures you have made. It's so nice of you to share your days with us. Hope it cools off soon. I love that quilt. I've placed my order for the book, now that I can get it here in the states. Hope the weather cools down soon for you all.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x