Wednesday 4 April 2018

Preoccupied

Since our return from Norfolk Island life has been busy to say the least hence a long 11 days since I last nattered! We've been consumed with mostly family 'stuff' and lots of catch up phone calls from special friends to say hello....thankyou for that 😄 The weather has gone completely mad as it is still so jolly warm from a long and very dry Summer. The roses have been awful and others have shared the same observation. In the northern hemisphere we are hearing of unseasonal snow so one wonders if the future is to be just two seasons of just long summers and winters without the delights of Spring and Autumn. So back to that 'stuff' which of course included dear Wade. Sleeping doesn't come easily for him during the day so he must be so very tiring for his Mum Sophie but he does love the walks in the pram outside.......

So these recent 'happiness is' calendar pages seemed most appropriate......


We have also enjoyed Beau and Maisie's company and one day I decided to give hand stitching a go. I found an easy wool felt Easter pattern and Maisie took to it instantly and I was amazed how well she stitched. Slowly and methodically she stitched the entire outside of the carrot shape......such skill for a three year old......



Sadly I didn't get very many photos of the family on Easter Sunday when we shared brunch along with the mandatory egg hunt, but I did manage this one of Wade smiling at Maisie......
 Of course I had to take these two to see the Peter Rabbit movie over Easter! Beau and I enjoyed it but Maisie was restless the last half hour.....not sure what Beatrix Potter would have thought about it all but at least it keeps her characters alive......
 The little ones received these two new pets along with other things including egg cups. Apparently Beau noticed that the egg cup was 'Made in China' so commented to his Dad that he thought it very strange that the Easter bunny would get something made in China when the Chinese don't believe in Easter! His six year old brain amazes us at times!
 This week has also been nervously consumed with the first of the William Morris in Adelaide tours in just 4 sleeps with more meetings required......couldn't help noticing that I was colour co-ordinated for one of them!.......
 It is very different looking at your home town through the eyes of prospective tourists........


 I've also received this enormous pile of 'stuff' this week that needs sorting with a cousin from an Aunt's home. She has moved into care so the unenviable task of clearing a house is in progress. I fear our carport will look like this for a while.......
 But I was incredibly excited to find this little box of slides with photos of my older brother and I. I have so few images of us growing up so I will treasure these. Glad I had a gadget to convert the slides to digital images. The photos were taken in 1959 when I was almost three and he was seven (sadly at the age of 29 he passed away). Looking back I know he gave me a hard time as you can see but I idolised him none the less......




Photos are definitely precious and some weeks back I thought I might start a weekly journal of life in the form of stitcheries. I can then put them in a folder of plastic sleeves for prosperity for the family. I am enjoying slow stitching in the evenings so I will start that in the coming weeks and share the process and memories along the way. A couple of years ago I found myself doing this very thing as gifts for our final tours in the UK. This was a photo that I took of Lord Farringdon from Buscot Park talking to our group. I wanted to give him a thankyou gift so I made a journal cover for him taking note of those delightful red socks!....

I also stitched Mrs Tiggy-Winkle for Helen as well......
I suspect the next time I say Hi will be during our first William Morris tour so till then take care wherever you are x

6 comments:

  1. Such a busy lady, thanks for taking the time to show us your part of the world and those grandkids. Wade was delighted with his little cousin, and she is already a little seamstress. Don't know what Ms Potter would think of the movie but I took my daughter and granddaughter and we all loved it. Who doesn't love Peter Rabbit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have very few photos of one of my brothers that we lost when he was just turned 22 so I know how glad you must have been to see the photos. Have fun at the Morris tour even though it is work for you. The smiles on Wade's face is so precious knowing all he went through to stay in this world. Beau is so bright to catch the "made in China"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tickled Pink to see Wade so healthy and happy - his mum and dad are doing a wonderful job of loving and caring for him. That Beau - very observant. And of course Maisie got her Grandma's gene for sewing. Much success with the tours. I wish I could have gone. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you that Maise enjoyed her stitching and more importantly stayed focus on task for that time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, all the best with the tours, will be waiting to hear all about them, great find of the photos, and I can see and likeness of Beau in the bottom one, and Maisie must have inherited your talents. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear from you again Michele, it is a busy time with a young baby and how Wade has grown! Maisie has inherited your sewing flair I think and she even looks a lot like you. The photos you have found are very precious and will bring back many memories for you. Good luck with the tour and enjoy the experience.
    Love and kind thoughts, Jean 😍😍

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x